Saturday, January 12, 2013

Time Management for Moms - Part 1

todoEDITED
My personal diary - in pink no less

Happy New Year!

Okay, okay, a bit too late.

But better late than never, right?

Heh...

As a mum to an (almost) 2-year old, time management is key.

Most of the time I would have a list of things that I planned to do and end up...NOT doing them.

I don't blame Fayrah for it (though most of the time I do) but frankly, it's really my fault.

Believe it or not, time management is a skill.

Yup, it is.

Yeah, everyone can plan.

But to plan EFFECTIVELY, now that takes skill.

So this is 1 area I have decide to give a bit more focus on this year.

As a mom who holds a full-time job aside from being a mom (does that makes sense?), it is crucial to simplify almost every area of my life - especially in the mornings.

Time management skill may not be rocket science but when you have a gazillion things running through your head every single second (the numbers double when you're a mom), having them written clearly does help.

The tips in this 2 part blog post is not meant to be the ultimate solution to every time management challenge that you face.

They are there to help you think of ways to simplify your own unique schedule.

1) Lists
Lists are my best friend - though diamonds are pretty nice too.

But lists, oh boy, do they save my life.

Grocery lists makes grocery shopping significantly more efficient.

Packing lists eliminates frustration with trip preparation.

Daily to-do list helps tackle issues in order of importance.

My daily to-do list acts as a goal that I strive to accomplish each day.

As a visual learner, seeing my "goals" (also known as "tasks") in writing helps me remember and that awesome feeling I get each time I strike off each task is PRICELESS.

2) Prioritize
Having a list does help to minimize the stress when you have a thousand things to do but when not used properly, having a list can actually be a STRESS.

That's when prioritize comes in.

I usually limit my daily tasks to:
3 - Personal tasks (blogging, business-related, health-related etc)
3 - Mummy tasks (household chores, doctor's appointments etc)

Why 6?

Because that is about as much time I have to do those things.

Anymore than 6 goals, I am certain that I will not be able to complete them.

And when I don't complete my list, I get frustrated and ..... you don't want to know the rest.

So as much as I hate it, I am no Super Woman.

And 6 is the magic number - for me at least.

3) Flexibility
Life is full of surprises.

Being flexible helps you cope with those surprises in a positive way.

So what if you didn't end up writing that blog post because your toddler decides that your chest would be her bed for the night?

So what if you missed a yoga session because DaHubster suggest a quiet stay home for the night - just the two of you?

If you're unable to complete 1 or 2 of the tasks you set out to do just so that you can spend extra quality time with your family, why not, right?

Your toddler will not remain a toddler forever.

DaHubster deserves the attention - after all the faked headaches. *winks*

Stay tuned for the next set of tips.

No comments: