Sunday, September 7, 2008

In a quest to stay healthy physically as well as mentally during Ramadan, I put on my running shoes and went for a half-hour brisk walking session.

I brisk walked round the perimeter of Yishun Park.

As I walked and listened to my Creative Zen, I prayed that the greenery surrounding the park could help to improve my vision.

All of a sudden, a four-legged being stopped me in my tracks.

Tapai nyer stray dog!

As I passed the herd (or a school? Oh, that's for fishes, right?) of strays, I prayed that none of them decide to act crazy until I was out of sight.

10 steps away from the herd and I thought I was safe.

But when I turned back, I didn't realise that one stray was actually following me!

I stopped, it stopped.

I continued walking, it continued walking.

I stopped again, it stopped again!

ARGH!

Tension aku!

What to do? What to do?

With nowhere else to go, I crossed the road and jogged to the other side!

Thank GOD, it did not follow me.

Alhamdullillah.

Kacau plan aku jer, si anjing tapai tu.

After that, as I was walking back home, I walked side by side an apek who had a puppy that was not on a leash. (Who let the dogs out??)

Before I could walked past them, the puppy started moving towards my direction and almost stopped right in front of me.

Luckily, the apek was clever enough to stop his jog (Oh yes, age knows no exercising boundaries) and held down his puppy.

I appreciate that, truly.

But people has to understand the fact that Muslims are not allowed to touch the dog's saliva and that's one of the reasons why it's greatly appreciated if dog owners put a leash on their canines.

Therefore, as a sign of respecting the religious differences in Singapore, I believe that dog owners need to know the reason as to why Muslims are not allowed to touch dogs.

I think the biggest challenge residents of any nation has to face can never be compared to the trials and tribulations of a multi-racial country.

It requires a lot of patience, understanding and open-mindedness for peace and harmony....like in Singapore.

No comments: