Thursday, August 11, 2005

When u speak, all I hear is BLA BLA BLA

I was reading TODAY this morning (TODAY is that free newspaper one gets every morning before boarding the train) (Me reading the newspapers?? A rare occassion but true. Priceless.) I saw an article made by a Malay lady. It was titled "Welcome fillip in the fight against bigotry".

Prior to reading this article, I came across a certain blog from one fuck of an arse, happily discriminating Malay-Muslims. I was bloody furious when I read his/ her entries. (Considering that this blogger does not seem to use his power of reasoning to good use and thus behaving like an animal hence let's just refer to him/her as 'IT'. The general term used for animals or creatures.) It was tempting to simply give IT one piece of my mind (plus the profanities, of course. What's the cake without the yummy cream, right?) But I decided not to. I dunno. Suddenly, I feel like I would be doing exactly what IT wants me to do. Get all fired up, starts swearing and making a big scene out of the comments IT makes, however rude they are. So I chose to walk away.

My walking away does not signify defeat. In fact, it is a form of victory. Victory because I have not stooped so low and get DOWN to IT's level. Being a minority in my homeland and having into contact with gazillions of individuals who chose to judge me by the colour of my skin, my accent and every other aspect of my physicality shoudl be a darn good reason for me to feel like I should give IT the treatment IT deserves. That's simple. IT irritates, I get all fucked up, IT irritates me even more and I get even more FUCKED up. The cycle just goes on and on. There will be no end. But where will that get us? Nowhere.

So after much thought and consideration, I chose a route, which will never even cross my mind had I not go through all that I went through while growing up. I decided to let IT be. Let IT babble on about how ape-like the Malay-Muslims are, how ignorant and crappy our belief is (Subahanallah. O ALLAH, strengthen my faith, Dear Lord.) and so on and so forth.

From the way I see this, discrimination (of any kind) is a sign of weakness. One criticizes another so that one can feel good about one’s self, one’s belief etc. IT’s opinions are like a needle in a haystack. Would’t life be so cumbersome and tiring to adjust our life so that we can satisfy someone else? There are over 10 million of people living worldwide – about 3 million in Singapore alone. The first part of my life was all about pleasing others. The second part was filled with fights in order to maintain and (so-called) uphold my rights. Fighting was also an attempt to make people see my point of view and my perception on a certain issue.

But now, for this part of my life – I shall wait. Wait for the right moment. This is not to say I will not give up without a fight. That is a route for the cowards. I shall wait and let all these shallow, ignorant individuals with low self-esteem get away with it – for now. Because the “victims” of (any) discriminations shall make a comeback. No, we shall not resort to violence as did the terrorists attacks, which end up in the loss of thousands of innocent lives.

But we shall wait for the right moement. When the time is right, we shall speak out. And when we do, these animals will shut up once and for all. They will be left with nothing more to say. Hopefully by then, they would already realize their mistakes and repent. But if that makes them go deeper into the abyss, well, may God help them by showing them to the right path.

1 comment:

Alles-Lila said...

orang² macam ni ramai, lizzie. sebagai muslim, kiter tabah je sebab ni kan salah satu daripada cubaan yang diberikan olehNya. but then again, we ARE humans and we tend to be infuriated by all these baseless discriminations *sigh*

eh, no. i'm not a teacher. i'm a social worker in a children's home so my work is constantly revolving around 'em little cherubs. kherkherkhe...

are you a teacher?

have a good weekend, k?