Thursday, January 19, 2006

Say what..?

There was a workshop on Object Based Learning that was held after school today.

My table consisted of 5 Caucasian ladies and 3 Asians, including yours truly. (By the way, in case, you don't already know, ALL of the pre-school teachers in my current school are ladies. Yes, I said ALL) We were then further divided into two groups. The other 3 members in my group were Caucasians.

I am always aware of the fact that Caucasians tend to be more outspoken and vocal with their thoughts. I never really cared...till today. Like all other workshops, the participants will definitely be required to do some groupwork of some sort. The workshop today was no different, of course.

I was extremely shocked as to how willing and fast the 3 Caucasian ladies (in my group) reacted once the speaker allowed for the discussion. All of them readily contributed ideas after ideas.

I was used to at least waiting for 1 or 2 minutes (or even 5 minutes sometimes) before one of my group members finally decided to speak up and input some ideas. That was when I had locals in my group. But just now was different. So different. Frankly, I was extremely shocked by the immediate reactions. I had trouble believing their immediate reactions as well as their accents! Hahahahaha...

Anyways, I was thinking to myself while on my way back just now. I think teaching in an international school CAN do me some good. My school is such that there is a very healthy balance of local as well as Western flavour. So this allows me to still be in touch with my Asian culture as well as familiarise with the Western way of thinking. Both cultures has its pros and cons. I especially salute the mat sallehs (ie: The Caucasians) for their very spontaneous reactions to anything old and new. It's still does amazes me at the immediate reactions (to contribute ideas) of the mat salleh ladies.

I predict so much more things that I can learn from them (and them from me, I hope.) But whatever it is, I am ever so thankful that ALLAH s.w.t has granted me this opportunity. I had to wait for one whole year for the school to reply to my application but it was worth the wait. Alhamdullillah. Syukur kepada ALLAH s.w.t

No comments: